Sunday, January 1, 2012

Welcome, 2012!

I've been doing some looking back and putting together of the pieces of this year.  Last New Year's Day I had absolutely no idea that in the next week I'd discover my husband saw our marriage as a sin to be repented of and discarded.  My year started with total disillusionment and betrayal, and a drastic financial hit.  I'd left the new life I'd built in NC (not to mention a house I couldn't sell), and there I was back in Atlanta, working at a job which involved seeing my ex-husband every day, totally numb, alone.  When I saw this overgrown stairway to nowhere this morning, I thought how it looked very much like I felt last year.  I was standing on these stairs I thought were leading one place, and all of a sudden my eyes were opened and I saw the overgrowth and ... nothing in front of me but weeds.  But ...  


... I realize today that I've turned a corner of sorts in the last couple of months.  This New Year's Day I am once again hopeful ... not the hope that "one day I'll walk out of this," but beginning to see the substance of that hope.  I AM walking out of the desolation.   The photos I took this morning of our Atlanta flowers, blooming out of season, make me smile.  They are determined to bloom when they can, no matter what.  I feel much more like these flowers this year than someone stuck on the stairs to nowhere.





1 comment:

  1. Ah, this made me smile, Laura! So good to hear the hope in your words.

    ReplyDelete