Thursday, August 25, 2011

Sun Worship

Today I learned that okra loves the heat and does well even with little water.  That would explain these beautiful plants.




4 comments:

  1. This is beautiful! I had no idea what okra looked like, growing. (Actually haven't ever eaten it, either...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not the kind of okra I grew up with, although the leaves are the same itchy, sticky, yucky things. I can't (OK, *won't*) eat okra, but my kids loved fried okra when they were little. In fact, Jonathan recuperated from meningitis at age 16 months on the fried okra we brought in from a restaurant to replace the hospital canned veggies he wouldn't touch. These are growing at the botanical garden's "edible garden" portion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is interesting! I am going to have to try it one of these days, just to have the experience. I think I need to take a trip down south to do that! Maybe when it is cold up north and "temperate" down south :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, those flowers are okra? I would grow them just for the flowers!

    Funny story. I spent six weeks in Richmond as a young adult in training for a missions program with 50 or so other people my age--mostly from the south. When we went to the cafeteria soon after I arrived, I asked what the green vegetable was that they were serving, since I had never seen it before. I felt like every eye in the place was on me as the server said, "Um, okra?"

    ReplyDelete