The Philadelphia stand came to an end, and I had three days before needing to be in DC. I drove through Bird-in-Hand and Intercourse, hoping to see more of Amish country, but it was so packed with tourists that I didn't even stop. As I headed to the Pennsylvania Wilds on little windy roads, peace settled in. Rolling hills, lots of trees, lovely farms, corn fields, tobacco fields, dairy cows, farms with silos, wash hanging out on the lines....and I found the "real" Amish country. People playing in their yards, women in dresses riding bikes and waving at me. Green, green, green. A gorgeous, peaceful part of the world.
I love the colors of all the equipment standing in line. :-)
Yes, there were Amish in buggies on the "main" road, going about their business.
I freaked out my GPS by turning down a tiny road to get this shot. It didn't even know how to "recalculate."
My friend kept encouraging me to go to that touristy Amish country while we were there. I am glad I resisted. Isn't it funny to be out of cell phone coverage. How far north did you get?
ReplyDeleteEven the touristy part is gorgeous...you can leave the main road and be suddenly out in the country where they are all just living their lives. But I needed to eat, and hate crowds. :-) I went up to Lock Haven (about mid-state) and took the scenic by-ways: 120 over to St. Mary's, then 255 down to DuBois (because I couldn't find a hotel along the by-way and it was late!). The next day I went back up northeast on 255 and 555, hoping to see elk. I intended to go to Hyner State Park and watch (if not try) hang gliding, but the weather did not cooperate, so I headed back south on 144, then over to the Flight 93 Memorial. Gettysburg the next day, then DC. I guess the short answer is that St. Mary's was probably as north as I got. It's beautiful county and I love those tiny, winding roads.
ReplyDelete