Sunday, February 20, 2011
Toomer's Trees
I made the drive to Auburn University yesterday to perhaps say good-bye to a part of my history. I found many others doing the same thing. Toomer's Corner is on the edge of campus, and has been the meeting place for generations of Auburn students. Two oak trees shelter the corner, and have put up with years upon years of enthusiastic Auburn students rolling them after each athletic victory.
Now they are very likely dying, the victims of poisoning by an out of control Alabama fan. As I sat and watched people come and go yesterday, I realized it was not so much current students and returning families. Young families wanting to get pictures of their kids in front of the trees. Middle aged people wanting to see them one more time, trying to take pictures through their tears. And older people, wondering what the world is coming to.
They've had to fence off the trees and cover the roots in an effort to conserve water and limit the amount the trees suck up, in case there is any hope of saving them. It was a sad day, but good to be there with other people who shared my feelings.
For those who care, all 130 Auburn photos can be seen on Flickr: Auburn University
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
These are gorgeous trees, and how sad that they may be dying because of the act of one immature person. It is really dismaying, isn't it, how some people can find it in themselves to do harmful things to innocent victims. How does poisoning trees provide ANY satisfaction to those who did it? (People who spread computer viruses--same thing.)
ReplyDeleteSo sad. They are truly majestic.
ReplyDeleteAn old friend of mine has an all-Auburn family, and it was on her birthday that they announced this sad turn of events. She was crushed. Amazing how "things" become tradition that is part of our very fabric. Great shots.
ReplyDeleteSuch beautiful trees. I don't understand what motivates someone to do something like that. :(
ReplyDeleteThis was a big topic on talk radio last week (ESPN). It is really incomprehensible.
ReplyDeleteI'd seen your reference to Toomer's trees and had no idea what you were talking about and not time to find out. I read something in the paper about it when I got home yesterday. So sorry. I'm hoping and praying that God preserves these beautiful oaks. Even old trees don't live forever, but it angers me to think of someone purposefully harming them.
ReplyDeleteWhat an absolutely awful situation. They should make that man dig holes and plant trees all day every day for the rest of his life. I just cannot wrap my mind around what he did. Horrible!
ReplyDelete